Tuesday, September 22, 2015

My braces journey with i.DENTAL

In January 2012, I went for my first dental consultation to decide if I should do Invisalign or braces. If you do not already know, Invisalign is a type of clear retainers that are changed monthly to slowly straighten the teeth, and is a prettier and less painful alternative to braces. Also, they can be conveniently removed anytime on your own, to ease eating, etc.

I have never considered braces, because I always felt that braces appear obvious visually and they are painful too. My face looks alright frontal but my side view is terrible because my mouth is protruding due to my overbite problem. I look horrible in candid photos because of this reason. Other than that, I get ulcers very often because of my overbite problem.



I thought that Invisalign could help push in the teeth painlessly and so I was very excited to go for consultation. But after the consultation, the price came out to be very out of my budget. Thus, I decided on ceramic braces which are less visible and more affordable.

I went through a lot of pain and suffering during the initial first few weeks from tooth extraction and putting on braces. I could not eat well. Congee every meal, every day. :(

Refer to my earlier posts documenting the process, linked below:



The pain was just the initial first few weeks when my mouth and teeth were adapting to the braces and the changes. After that, I could only feel the pain for 2 days after each tightening monthly. 

Final stage before removing all the braces!

Well, I like how the progress went and very happy with the results after 3 faithful years! My side view looks much better now and I can smile more confidently even without showing my teeth as I can close my mouth fully without looking like a rabbit/hamster. Just in time for our wedding photoshoot! ;D

February 2012 to March 2015
The before (top) and after (bottom) I look haggard here.




However, after removing my braces, there is also the after care where I need to wear my retainers 24/7 for the first 6 months, then every night thereafter. I must wear the retainer diligently every night, otherwise, the retainer will be extremely tight and it's very uncomfortable. This shows how my teeth can move easily.





My ceramic braces are done at i.DENTAL at Capital Tower, by Dr Jane Tan. They have 2 more branches; Northpoint and Ubi Avenue 1

Phone: 6323 2813
Website: http://www.idental.com.sg/our-clinics/

No comments:

Post a Comment