Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Invitation to play - Sensory bottle




Now that Rainbow is more interested in playtime especially on things that are colourful, I made this sensory bottle for her to play, inspired by the DIY projects on the internet. This sensory bottle look especially aesthetically pleasing to the eye, adult eye if I may add. She is currently in the stage of mouthing EVERYTHING. If it gets into her hands, it goes into her mouth. Thus, I cannot let her play with these pom pom alone. My strategy has been to put things in bottles and ziplock bags so that she can still engage in sensory play but this mama doesn't constantly hover around her mouth because I HATE saying 'NO' to my baby. I just want to let her play and discover the wonders behind every game/activity. Of course I will take into account the hazard before giving it to her.

The very first time I offered this sensory bottle to her, she immediately pulled the bottle to her mouth and lick it as I would expect. As the bottle is big for her tiny hands to hold, it kept dropping on the floor. So I lay her down on tummy on the bed and slowly she discovered that she could use her hand to roll the bottle and she would be amazed when the pom pom inside the bottle rolled together.


Then as she hardly able grasp the bottle well, I inserted a handkerchief around the lid and she's able to grab it easily and she can insert the handkerchief into her mouth too as expected.



For the whole activity, I was just sitting there by her side without teaching her what to do or how to play. It's fun seeing her making her little discovery there.

It's amazing how she begin to explore the same material differently when presented with it repeatedly.

Another sensory bottle with pom pom and sounds made from bottle caps and beads


No comments:

Post a Comment